Sunday, May 6, 2012

Don't Blink

I just finished listening to Don't Blink by Kenny Chesney and it made me think about my journey and fight against cardiomyopathy. So here goes my first attempt to tell my story. I hope you enjoy it. I will never forget my last normal day at the gym. The day was March 3, 2007. It was back and biceps day with a 6 mile run to finish, and I just crushed it. Little did I know, that would be my last visit to the gym. If I had known maybe I would have taken a little longer or cherished every second of it. However, one of the biggest lessons I have learned from cardiomyopathy is that I took so much for granted. For example, I was a very successful chiropractor in my home town. I had a booming practice. I had won several chiropractic awards. I was on the board of the South Carolina Chiropractic Association. I had been voted best chiropractor in town by the public for many years. Nevertheless, I wanted more and I would work myself to exhaustion trying to do just that.... Don't Blink...

You may think I'm crazy but Cardiomyopathy Saved My Life!

Cardiomyopathy has taught me to slow down...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me to be thankful for what I have...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that children are always watching and your example matters...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that God is good...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that it is quality that matters not quantity...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that family comes before work...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that the earth does not belong to us but that we belong to it...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that doing the right thing is usually the hardest path but the most rewarding path...Don't Blink...

Cardiomyopathy has taught me that life is fragile and it can be taken from you in a blink of an eye...Don't Blink

10 comments:

  1. Wow. I had no idea! God can truly stop us in our tracks to get us back on Track!Not all people see it as a positive occurrence. You are wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog. Yes God can reach down and loving pop us right on the back of our head. What you get out of it is up to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a great piece well done Zach and thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to do this for some time now but I found it very hard to tell new people that I had a serious problem. I didn't want pity or special treatment. I just want people to be honest and real. When I read your blog I was inspired by your honesty and I knew it was time for me to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very familiar I know how you are feeling mate. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been waiting for this blog!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading it Martyn..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lyndsay. I've got much to learn about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey great blog, as Martyn said very familiar...we are all on similar paths and yes it is Gods way of saying hold up there buddy and slow down...and i have.

    two things 1)keep them coming and 2) is your name Zach...i have been meaning to ask you for a while now lol

    Jonathan (jonboy)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you able to work with DCM? I have the same disease, it hit me very, very hard, I am a Christian, and was a Christian school teacher. I don't like this problem at all. The bright side doesn't appear too evident.
    I am enjoying your blogs, but how do you handle the day to day stuff

    ReplyDelete